How to Give

Stock donations as planned gifts

Donate stocks

One of the biggest tax advantages in charitable giving continues to be the double benefit donors get when donating appreciated assets to VCU instead of cash. By giving appreciated assets (like stocks held for more than one year), you'll get a charitable tax deduction for the full value of the asset and avoid any capital gains tax that would have applied if you had sold the stock and made your gift in cash.

For stock transfer instruction please visit the page for the appropriate VCU affiliated foundation:

VCU Foundation: for gifts that support VCU generally and most colleges, schools, departments and units on VCU’s Monroe Park Campus: VCU Athletics, College of Humanities and Sciences, Division of Student Affairs, Honors College, Institute for Contemporary Art, L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs, Richard T. Robertson School of Media and Culture, School of the Arts, School of Education, School of Social Work, School of World Studies, VCU Libraries and VCU Life Sciences.

MCV Foundation: for gifts that support the college, schools, departments and units on VCU’s health sciences campus: College of Health Professions, School of Dentistry, School of Medicine, School of Nursing, School of Pharmacy, Massey Cancer Center and VCU Health.

College of Engineering Foundation: for gifts that support the VCU College of Engineering

School of Business Foundation: for gifts that support the VCU School of Business and Brandcenter

It is important to notify VCU of the specifics of this transaction (stock name, share quantity, gift designation) so we can credit your gift appropriately. Please contact PAMELA COLKER, J.D., Executive Director of Planned Giving, Monroe Park Campus, at (804) 827-2376 or

Print page

© Planned Giving Marketing. This document is informational and educational in nature. It is not offering professional tax, legal, or accounting advice. For specific advice about the effect of any planning concept on your tax or financial situation or with your estate, please consult a qualified professional adviser.